Become a RISE Miami Member!
Our RISE program aims to elevate Guitars Over Guns’ mission of empowering youth by creating a platform to accomplish two primary objectives:
- Help Guitars Over Guns develop resources to reach more youth
- Connect like-minded individuals in Miami with their communities
RISE believes that every student deserves the resources and support necessary to feel confident in pursuing a college education or career path. Unfortunately, we have found that many of our program alumni do not receive this type of support during their high school careers. The RISE mentorship program aims to provide our Guitars Over Guns middle school graduates with a committed adult to offer guidance and continued mentorship through their high school years, in order to prepare them for college.
Give a little time to make a big impact! We are actively looking for RISE mentors and board members, in addition to monthly donors. Check out our teams below and get involved today!
Monthly Membership: $25.00
RISE Mission: To engage and connect entrepreneurial, philanthropic-minded professionals in support of Guitars Over Guns’ primary mission through volunteering, fundraising, networking and community engagement.
RISE Miami Board & Executive Committee
Chad Turner — President
Helen Kakouris — Vice President
Brian Nagy — Treasurer
Laura Shand — Secretary
Carrie Klimczak-Folse — Corporate Sponsorship Chair
Javier Sanchez — Events Chair
Jerry Antoun — High School Mentor Chair
Jason Domark — Membership Chair
RISE Mentorship Program
Freshman and Sophomore years (2-4 hrs/month)
- Meet with your mentee over the summer for an activity
- Encourage student activities based on your mentee’s interests, both in-school and extracurricular
- Discuss plans for after high school
- Encourage taking PSAT
Junior year (5 hrs/month)
- Fall: Encourage mentee to attend college info sessions and take SAT/ACT
- January: Help mentee create a resume
- February: Guide student to approach teachers for letters of recommendation
- June: Guide student through essay prompts (provided by Guitars Over Guns)
Senior Year (5 hrs/month)
- Fall: Last chance to take SAT/ACT
- September: All college essays completed
- January: Parents complete FAFSA
- Spring: Scholarship applications
- CELEBRATE COLLEGE ACCEPTANCE!